The Battle of Unison – sesquicentennial re-enactment

[I would have gotten to this sooner but the ravages of Sandy set everything here back a few days. Fortunately, it did not hit here until the day after the re-enactment. But the loss of power and the damage to the property kept me otherwise occupied for a time.]

During the historical survey prior to the advancement of the site of the Battle of Unison as a national battlefield historic location, several historians remarked that the physical features mentioned in the dispatches from the officers in this engagement in 1862 were still visible. The land itself in the vicinity has not changed appreciably since the Civil War and there has been no major residential or commercial construction in the area.

At one point, in the middle of the nineteenth century, Unison was actually the fourth largest community in Loudoun County. Today it is nowhere near the top twenty. Civilization has by-passed the village and left it stranded in that early period. Hence the lack of development and the lack of disturbance to the battlefield site since the war.

Now to the re-enactment of the battle:

The action actually started in the evening before the actual battle around Unison. There was a skirmish along the Snickersville Pike between Aldie and Philomont, but I drove the entire distance to the Aldie junction and never saw a trace of anyone re-enacting.

Early on Saturday morning, though, the Rebel troops came through.

I did not see anything more than the small cavalry troop come through town but further along the roadside east of town were a few rebel infantry waiting for the action to begin.

There were others hiding in the thicket across the road but I could not get a decent shot, so I continued eastward looking for the “damned Yankees”. I did not have to look too far.

Then along came the cavalry

and the troops packed up from their repast

and got back on the road

After the long march into Unison and a small flurry of interchanged shots with the Rebel pickets just to the east of the village, the Union troops stopped in the village for lunch.

Once again packing up and moving on when the cavalry moved off.

To the west of the village, the Confederates had moved the cannon into position to thwart the Union advance.

There were some Rebels hiding in the thickets in the heights by Quaker Road.

And they had a pretty good view of the countryside to the east.

The cannon began firing shortly after the Union troops left the village and continued shaking the countryside every ninety seconds for the next two and a half hours.

After the engagement, the Union regrouped near the old Quaker cemetery

and the last of the stragglers made their way back through the village.

The local Methodist Church had been taken over to be used as a field hospital (though I did not see any “wounded” being taken there.

There was also a photographer on hand to take pictures.

It was difficult to take pictures without a lot of the crowd in the shot and I did not interfere with the re-enactors during the action, not even to get a good shot.

When younger, I was involved with a re-enaction and the main idea was to re-live the historic moment, not dodge around the modern sight-seers.

Perhaps there are other people who posted those pictures.

The biggest surprise to me was the cannon. I had no idea we would be feeling the concussion wave before the sound reached us. Nor did I think it would last as long as it did.

It was an enjoyable time for everyone concerned, I hope.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s